1. Melt the butter in a small pan and then add the chopped onion.
2. Gently fry the onion in the butter over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes until a little brown and soft. Then take the pan off the heat and let the onion cool a little. In the meantime add the diced bread and milk to a mixing bowl.
3. Also add the chopped speck (or bacon), the egg, chopped parsley and cooled onion. Then season the mixture with a good pinch of pepper and salt.
4. Stir well until all the ingredients are wet and moist. Then also add the flour.
5. Stir well again. Check the seasoning and add extra pepper or salt to taste if necessary. Then cover the bowl with cling film and let the bread soak for about 15 minutes.
6. Pour the beef stock in a medium saucepan and bring it to a light simmer. Stir the bread and make 8 even firm balls of the mixture. Then poach the bread balls in the warm stock for about 20 minutes.
7. Divide the bread dumplings and broth evenly over deep plates. Serve hot.