The secret behind how to make fries... the best Belgian fries recipe! How are classic Belgian fries prepared? Everything you want to know about fries!
1. Once you have sliced up every potato, heat your deep fat fryer to about 300°F (150°C) and heat up the frying oil (or melt the tallow if using). Divide the uncooked fries into portions depending on how large your fryer and frying basket is. About 2 handfuls is enough. You can do this is batches of course.
2. Once the oil is hot, precook your first batch of fries for about 3 minutes.
3. That done, remove the fries from the hot oil. They should be quite tender. Don’t shake them or you will break them.
4. Let the precooked fries cool. You can let them drain on some kitchen paper and pre bake a second batch of fries. Once all of the fries are precooked and cooled, to turn up the heat of the deep fryer to 356°F (180°C) and add one batch of precooked fries back to fryer.
5. Fry them until golden and crisp in about 3 to 4 minutes. Once that is done, remove the fries from the hot oil and shake them well. Then transfer them to a bowl or deep dish lined with kitchen paper and sprinkle with some salt. Serve this first portion of golden fries while you are frying another batch of them. That's how to make fries, now enjoy!