Here is yet another one of my attempts to cook up a creative and inventive new potato side dish. Such as my crunchy masala roast potatoes below for instance! These golden potato gems taste great as a side dish for a pork or chicken dinner.
Or even in combination with sea bass or cod fish I would say.
Try it out!
Do you know what masala is exactly?
You must be familiar with it, right? It is a lovely flavorful ingredient to cook with!
Don’t you have any masala in your spice rack at home?
Masala Spice Blend
Because here is how to make your very own masala spice blend at home.
Yes, because masala is not one single spice but a blend of several spices mixed together. Amongst them are pepper, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaf and cumin.
These are all pretty straight forward spices, right.
And that is why I am pretty sure that you have at least a couple of those spices in your kitchen somewhere?
Best Indian Spiced Masala Roast Potatoes
I also added curry powder and garlic powder to my masala spice blend to give these masala roast potatoes an extra flavor touch. And a little ground curcuma just for that extra flashy color as well.
Are you a potato fan?
Potatoes are quite often on our menu here.
But I don’t want to be serving the same old boiled potatoes, fries or mash every single night. And that is why I am always on the lookout for creative and inventive new potato side dishes.
There is so much more to do with potatoes, believe me!
I love my potato side dishes preferably with a lot of kick.
Potato Side Dishes
And a good portion of crunch if that is also possible.
Don’t get me wrong. I also like the more traditional classics.
Do you love Indian flavors like the ones that you can find in this masala spice blend?
Then you should also check out my Indian spiced bean stew as well! It is also a gorgeous one pot meal that we love to bits here at home.
A winner dinner for sure!
So here is how to make these crunchy masala roast potatoes…
Best Indian Spiced Masala Roast Potatoes Recipe
Another attempt to spice up a potato side dish: crunchy masala roasted potatoes!
- 10,5 oz oven potatoes (350 g)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp curcuma powder
- garlic powder
- ⅓ tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro or mint, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Brush the potatoes thoroughly and let them dry a little. Don't peel them: the roasted skin will add some crunch to the potatoes. Then chop them into bite-size pieces and transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the garam masala, the curcuma and the curry powder as well.
- Stir very well. Then season the potatoes with a pinch of pepper, salt and garlic powder. Sprinkle with the olive oil and fennel seeds.
- Stir the potatoes very well again. Make sure all the bits are coated evenly. Then cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the potatoes marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- After that spread then onto a large baking tray.
Roast the potatoes in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for about 30 to 45 minutes or until they are cooked through and start to brown a little on the edges. Then remove the tray from the hot oven and transfer the roast potatoes to a large bowl. Sprinkle with the freshly chopped cilantro. Serve hot.